Thursday, September 16, 2010

Streams of Thought

In the busyness of the new school year and starting new jobs, I have neglected my blog. This is something I regret. I've had many interesting thoughts I wanted to write down and discuss, but at this point, I simply want to introduce these thoughts to you, my readers. Eventually, I hope to discuss these thoughts in further detail. Any comments you have would be appreciated and helpful to further discussions. Most of these thoughts use some vague imagery and general terminology to point to something more specific. I will at least give a taste of where my mind is going with these thoughts.

My first thought is this, "The blind cannot see, but even those who have sight are counted blind when they close their eyes or they walk in darkness." What do I mean by that? Primarily, I am thinking about spiritual things when I say this. The blind refer to those who have not had their eyes opened to the gospel of Jesus Christ. Of course they cannot see. They cannot tell light from darkness. However, those who have sight (Christians) are still counted blind when they close their eyes to the truth of God's word, or when they choose to walk on paths where the light of God's glory will not illuminate their way. They will stumble. They will fall. And they will repeat this process until they begin walking in the light of God's truth once again.

Second, "People either Hate or Venerate that which they cannot comprehend." I think this comment applies to just about anything a person can imagine. The human mind is able to comprehend many things, but when we encounter something we are incapable of understanding, we must respond emphatically. Things or ideas we respond to in this way includes God, Love, the Universe, and various fields of Higher Education (Obviously not an exhaustive list). The question is, "Will we respond with hatred or veneration?" Throughout history, and even today, people respond to these things with either enormous respect or disdain. Notice I said that people respond to them. People can only respond or react after they have been acted upon. Knowledge, Creation, Love, and God all encroach upon humanity. They all make claims, and the greater the claim, the more emphatic the response. I think this is why people live and die over belief in God. He makes the greatest claim because He is before all things. A person cannot simply ignore God and a stalemate occurs. There is no such thing as unbelief in God. There is either Belief or Non-Belief (Which is itself a Belief). God exists. Refusing to believe in Him does not make him any less real. A person, who will never comprehend God, will either hate Him or venerate Him. Much more can be said, but for now, I will move forward to another topic.

The Final thought I want to convey is perhaps the most basic of the three. I initially used the word "Doctrine" in this thought, but I think it applies to all ideas in general. For the sake of allowing this statement make the broadest impact, I will use the term "Idea", but understand that I primarily want people to think of ideas and doctrines within the church when I make this statement, "Bad ideas flourish where Good ideas are absent". This sounds like a basic statement, but I think it also carries some profundity. Have you ever heard someone propound a thought so ignorant you wonder where it came from? Quite honestly, it comes from the absence of good ideas regarding whatever topic the person was addressing. When a person believes something separated from truth and reason, there has been a lack of good ideas presented to that person. Either that, or the person is blind like the person from my first thought. People who have either never had their eyes opened or who choose to close them to the truth are incapable discerning good ideas from bad ideas. It is not as if they don't have the right mind. They simply do not have the proper eyes for seeing the truth.

These are a few of my thoughts as of lately. Please feel free to post your thoughts, ideas, and opinions on these or any other topics you might choose. As always, thank you for reading and supporting!

1 comment: